Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Summertime blues

Sorry it has been so long since I posted anything of substance. It has been a crazy, crazy month. From the successful last push to put the finishing touches on Cathy's AMAZING new store, to the rocking festival I booked in Montana, to the 12+ hours I have spent in layovers, delays and canceled flights in Colorado, Montana, New Hampshire and DC, it has been a sleepless whirlwind few weeks.

Currently I am Philly for a few days sitting on a music panel and continuing to get fat from lack of aerobic motion. I want to give a full rundown of the past months events, but it seems too dense to get to in one post. I will hopefully do a slow roll-out along with photo's. In the meantime, let's talk Cathy's parents....

Last weekend, my one weekend at home, Cathy was at the store and got a call from her folks saying they wanted to drop food off at the Chungkohn palace. Since Cathy has yet to actually tell her folks that she is a small business owner (god forbid!) she put the onis of parental interaction squarely on me, her poor non-Korean speaking Jewish man-servant-man.

Cathy's mom is a little sprite of woman with boundless energy to feed her children and her children's partners. I have had three conversations with her. Ever. They consist of the following topics:

1. Hungry?
2. Eat this.
3. I will give you this to eat.

Cathy informed me that both her parents were going to stop over and deliver food. Since they didn't have a cell phone, and the Chungkohn palace door ringer doesn't work in humidity, I was instructed to wait for them on the stairs outside. When they did finally arrived, they didn't come in the house, even though I invited them in. Instead, they proceeded to enact what could only be a "drive by feeding." The car parked illegally in the bus zone, they opened the trunk and forced food upon me Although I succeeded in not taking the bag of onions and dried fish cakes, they were able to leave DC less the following items:

one 5 gallon tub of kimchi
5 pound sack o' potatoes
8 pound bag of enriched white rice
bag of clementines
bag of oyster mushrooms
5 home grown cucumbers (very good)
5 whole, unfrozen large croaker fish
bag of scallions
dried squid stuff/thing
large bag of crushed garlic
bag of carrots
bananas
bag of cherries

IMG_0032
(tub of kimchi)

Thanks Chung's.

To prepare you for the next post, I have attached a picture of the chuckwagon from the festival. The positioning of this was completely unintentional.

IMG_0340

1 comment:

  1. Come Fall I suspect CK will be experiencing drive-bys of gefilte fish and hamentashan. Oooh. Dreams.

    ReplyDelete